Tuesday, January 21, 2014

St. Louis: Days 1 and 2

Disclaimer: These posts about our trip aren't going to get too "real". The fact of the matter is a lot of this is private and is our own private journey. While reading the "funny" aspects of this trip, please continue to pray for us for the tough times as well. 

Rikki drives a Civic. The car we drove up her is an Impala. The Impala is approximately three times as wide as the Civic (slight exaggeration). What does that translate into? 



Poor Pat. At least 10 times on the 6.5 hour drive I did this to her. Not because I wasn't paying attention. But because I wasn't used to handling something that wide (twss)

Anyway, we got here and got checked into the Hope Lodge. This place is fantastic. It gives me hope for humanity. All the residents pitch in to help with everything (cooking, cleaning, visiting). It is very encouraging. 

That being said, Pat and I are the judgiest people on the  planet. And while I'd like to think that everyone here is normal and personable and not all creepy, that's just not the case. 


For instance, we already learned to dodge the guy with the wolf blanket. He thinks anyone who passes is his friend and should join him in a rousing episode of Matlock while they discuss.... something. I couldn't quite figure it out from three tables away furiously trying to look busy. 

Before we left the lodge, the front desk lady asked us to peel some potatoes because she had brought stuff to make lunch for everyone but the desk was too busy she couldn't get to the kitchen to do it. So we peeled potatoes, cut cabbage and sausage, and got it started for her. We had to leave but she asked us if we wanted her to save us a bowl for when we got back. Good thing we passed because we didn't get back until 9:30 pm (we left at 11:30 am) and every bit of it was gone! 

When we got to the doctor, there was this adorable furiously boring family who was obsessed with birds. If you don't follow me on Twitter you should, because I live tweeted their enthralling conversation. It went like this. (Start from the bottom please). 

  1. Bird saga over. Time to see doc. I'm a little disappointed. I hate when I miss the ending. ?
  2. Update: still haven't finished the muffin.
  3. Ohhhhh, now we are marveling wind chimes and hummingbird tattoos!
  4. Bird dad is cracking up at the bird mag again. I bet he only reads it for the articles. knocknockwho'sthere? Owltellyoulater
  5. Realization: bird family eats like birds! They've been sharing the same muffin for 45 minutes.
  6. The bird people think apparel that says "feed the birds" is really funny.
  7. We've moved on to what nectar feeds monarchs better. I may never know about that damned bird and the wreath.
  8. The couple across from us is having an invigorating conversation about birds. I'm on the edge of my seat! WHY DID THE BIRD LAND ON THE WREATH


Let's talk customer service in St. Louis, shall we? 

Dear Little Rock, 

You are deeper in the south than St. Louis. You should be as hospitable if not more so. Get your shit together. 

Signed, 

Recent visitors to St. Louis

Seriously folks, we have not encountered one rude person yet! 

Jack in the Box employee gave us free food. 

All the staff/visitors at the hospital were super nice and helpful. Even when we were 1.5 hours late to an appointment because the previous one lasted so long, they did not act inconvenienced. They offered us drinks. And they kept me updated every 15 minutes or so on how it was going with her. 

The lady in the cafeteria let me have a free fountain drink because I misread a sign. I offered to pay for it or just leave without it and she said, "No girl. You take that drink and have a blessed night." 

We got to Walgreens to pick up a prescription to find out they don't accept our insurance and we'd need to find another pharmacy so it didn't cost us $211 for the drugs. They apologized and told us how to get to another pharmacy down the street. 



When we got to the other pharmacy (CVS btw... b/c they were so dang nice), they couldn't get Walgreens on the phone so they offered us free drinks on the house while we waited. 

I mean everyone has been so nice! 

If you haven't yet, please consider registering as a donor or helping me promote our bone marrow donor drive on the blog. We have already met a few people that are in need of donors for any hope of survival. 

We have lots of entries but I haven't seen any people posting with a sign about why they registered or why you should register. I'd like to see more of those! 

Please visit here for all the details and to register to win! 

http://www.mommasgotadudesname.com/2014/01/help-save-sams-grandma-become-bone.html


1 comment:

  1. Rikki Tikki Tavvy sounds like you guys are having a memorable time. <3 to you all. Now let me go Twitter stalk your feathers....

    ReplyDelete