Monday, November 18, 2013

Sunday Funday! Old Fashioned Candy Buttons, Icees, and a little Face Painting!

We continued on our quest for a fairly normal weekend with Sam by getting up this morning and going to church. First we had to make pancakes because all week long he has been asking me to make him something "special" for breakfast. What did we choose today to make it special?

Sprinkles. Pancakes with sprinkles.

For all of you guys thinking, "Ummm Rikki, you are supposed to be on a low carb diet. How does that work out?"

Answer: It doesn't and neither do I! Boom! (drops mic... walks away... with her ass jiggling because for reals... she doesn't work out)

I dare the doctor check my cholesterol after the last few days. I bet it is gnarly.

He really wanted to help so I put him in charge of buttering the pancakes. The good thing is that his "butter" is dairy free and fat free and ... weird. The bad thing is that he used A LOT of it and I hear even a lot of water is detrimental to our health.


We finished our pancakes and headed out to church.

I had told Sam that we'd go see grandma in the hospital after church and he could draw her a picture during church (anything to occupy him... I hear Jesus is a Cars fan so I know I chose the right coloring book... right?).

He very deliberatively scribbled inside and outside the lines for a lovely picture to take to grandma.

Fantastic.

We went home to eat and take our nap (Yup ours. Could be why I'm up at midnight typing a blog post). Upon trying to fall asleep, Sam asked if we could go to the park. I told him we might be able to go after our nap, but he'd have to go to sleep first to find out.

He woke up well in time for an outing to the park and I had some Candy Crushing to catch up on so I was game. Of course we had to stop by the gas station and get an Icee first. They check at the park to make sure you have an Icee upon entry or they won't let you in. True story.

While at the park, Sam found himself with some older kids (probably around 8 or 9) on the merry-go-round. Sam wanted to push them on it and so he did. One kid said he wanted to go faster and then I hear my son say this: "I have my rubber-go-fasties on (points to his light up Cars shoes) and that means I can go really fast!" And then he takes off at the exact same speed he was going before.

Here is a hint: It wasn't fast.

The kids told him he wasn't fast and this completely upset him and he demanded an apology. I tried to damage control the situation but ended up just encouraging him to not hang out with people who don't believe in him. (Anyone else hear R. Kelly in the background? Nope? Just me?)

We played for a bit longer and he decided he needed to take an Icee break. How cute is this?


This weekend has been so hectic that we haven't eaten at the house yet, there is a lovely heap of clothes that are clean but not at all folded on my couch, and we haven't bought groceries. Justin had been at the hospital all day so he was looking for a way to relax. He decided to take Sam to the Bass Pro Shop that just opened while I went grocery shopping.

That was a fresh little slice of hell for me but when is Walmart not? I mean I did get behind the lady that smelled like BO, had 1000 coupons and all the sales ads from the tri-state area to price match every stinking can of Spam she had... but when do you not get behind that lady at Walmart?

When I got home, Sam was very excited because his daddy had bought him some candy at the store.

I have never seen these things...



Old fashioned candy buttons.

Can we talk about this for a second?

You know what I understand? Old fashioned candy sticks. Old fashioned caramels. Hell, even Old Fashioned Candy Cigarettes. That shit was cool.

When did it become cool to eat buttons?

And these don't even look like freaking buttons. Its just globs of hard colored sugar on paper.

AND... AND... not even wax paper.

Sam wanted some after dinner so I gave them to him. He said he needed help. I didn't believe them b/c it is a freaking glob of sugar on some paper. He brought them to me and do you know what I realized?

Old fashioned folks ate a lot of damned paper in their day!

You might as well have licked a cinnamon disk and stuck it on notebook paper.

What is funny is Sam realized something was amuck. He just looked at me like, "Am I supposed to eat that?"

At one point I looked at him and said, "Son, if you want the candy you're going to have to eat it with a little paper. I don't know what to tell you."

He chose to eat a little paper. I guess we all won?

Anyway, after we had our crunchy sugar paper dessert, Sam wanted to paint grandma another get better picture. I got his stuff out and got him all set up.

When he was done, he got really quiet and hunkered down over the paper and then started to giggle.

When he looked up at me, he had some paint on his forehead. And the cheesiest grin painted on his face.

He said, "I got dirty!"

I said, "Oh that's okay honey. We'll wash it off later."

He said, "So I can get dirtier?"

And guys, I have to say, this is one of those moments where I was like, "Eh... what's it going to hurt?"

And you know what? It didn't hurt a damn thing. What could have happened, I had already let the kid eat paper?!

Here is the result...




 I think we did alright for a Sunday Funday :-) Sam thought it was pretty rad.


2 comments:

  1. He looks pretty freakin' happy with that ICEE I'm decently jealous lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaat?! I thought everyone knew about candy buttons?! They were a big deal when I was a kid... and now that I think about it, yes, we totally ingested a little paper with them! HA!

    ReplyDelete