Monday, November 11, 2013

Cynical Emergency Personnel Encounter

I know you. You are expecting some dramatic story when I encountered some emergency personnel that were less than helpful and then I got a case of the 'red-ass' and publicly shamed them. 

Nope. 

The emergency personnel I speak of is.... 

Samuel Turner. 

He has had croup/cold for a while now so we have been steaming in the shower a lot more lately. While in the shower he loves playing "police man" or "fire man" or "ambulance man" (we don't know the word paramedic just yet). 

The normal series of events goes... 

Sam: Momma call me. 

Me: bring... bring... 

Sam: What happened? 

Me: (lame story of something that has happened)

Sam: I'm on my way! 

Then he violently puts the fire out or arrests the bad guy or instructs me to get in the ambulance (which is tricky with a broken leg)... then it starts all over again. 

Tonight... was the night of the cynical emergency personnel. 

It went like this: 

Sam: Momma call me. I'm a fireman. 

Me: bring bring... bring bring... 

Sam: What happened? 

Me: My yard is on fire! Help! 

Sam: Well put it out with the hose. 



Me: What? Didn't I call the fire department? You come put it out!

Sam: Is your hose broken? 



What the hell kind of fire department is this?! 

Here is how the police encounter went... 

Sam: What happened? 

Me: A burglar is trying to get into my house! Help! 

Sam: Is he a bad guy?

Me: Yes! 

Sam: Well lock the doors. 

Me: Are you going to come get him? 

Sam: If you lock the doors he can't get in. Why should I come?



What the hell?! 

In the field of student affairs, we often go back and forth between "challenge" and "support". It takes a delicate balance of both to produce effective students. 

Sam may be a bit heavy on the "challenge." Eh? 

And this went on all night. He wasn't helpful not one time. 

1 comment:

  1. This was seriously too cute. And to be honest, if your hose isn't broken, you should have been putting out that fire on your own anyway.

    ReplyDelete