Tuesday, April 22, 2014

That Time Sam got Locked in the Car


Hi! Mother of the year, here! 
























I'm here to ensure that therapists around the country have job security! 

Here's the skinny. 

The other day, when Sam and I got home, we came into the kitchen and he starts yelling, "Mommy! We forgot my sack of eggs in the car!"

Me: "WE didn't. You did. Go get them." 

Sam: "But its outside."

Me: "Your legs aren't broken, you can open a car door, and the car is in the garage. Go get the eggs if you want them." 

Off he went and I proceeded with my religious ritual upon getting home of "de-business-clothing" and "pajama-suiting-up"



After I got changed into my jammies at 6 pm (thankyaverymuch), Justin and I had a conversation about something unimportant I'm sure. About 5-7 minutes had passed at this point and I began to wonder where my 4 year old was. 

Then I remembered he went to the garage to get in the car. 

"AW CHIT! Sam is messing around in my car!" And off I went to see what he was messing with that he assuredly shouldn't be. 

I was almost to the garage when the horn starts honking. 

GREAT. 

I'm expecting to find a 4 year old in the prime of life hitting all the buttons and possibly knocking the car out of gear. 

What I found was a 4 year old FREAKING DAFUQ OUT and honking the horn like a crazy person. 

Tears were streaming down his face. 

I said, "SAM! Baby, what is the matter?!?!"

When I opened the car door, he came at me like a spider monkey on bed of fresh bananas. 




That kid has never squeezed me so tight! 

He says, "MOMMA! MOMMA! I WAS STUCK IN DA CAR AND I COULDN'T GET OUT SO I HONKA'D DA HORN SO YOU'D GET ME!!!!!"

He kept crying and hugging. Hugging and crying. Rinse and repeat. 

That poor thing was so scared. 

He wasn't locked in the car, btw. The doors were unlocked. He just couldn't get them to work. 

But can I hear it for the 4 year old who, amidst crisis, thought well enough to honk the horn and get my attention?! 

While the story is funny on the surface, this puts my mind at ease for his emergency response. Sure, he was freaking out, but he cognitively found a solution to his problem and then went for it! That's badass! 

When he does things that are smart, I like to explain to him why it was smart. And I did. 

And this is what I heard for two days straight...

"Momma, since I was a smart boy and honked the horn when I was locked in the car, do you think I deserve a treat?" 

Or,

"Do you think Susan will give me a treat for being a smart boy in the car when I honked to get out?" 

Or, 

"Momma, I was really scared in the car when I was locked in there and had to honk for you. Can I have a treat to make me feel better?"

You win some, you lose some, eh?


5 comments:

  1. TOTALLY smart of him to honk the horn, that was my first thought when reading this... not sure my kids would have done the same. Go Sam! (He totally deserves a treat, btw! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...that's how I ask for raises. I do one thing right (finally) and then proceed to ask for a raise the other 364 days of the year. That'll teach 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I don't have that kind of common sense! Go Sam!

    ReplyDelete