Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's a Liebster anyway?


You guys! I've been nominated for a Liebster Award! As I'm trying to grow my readership right now, I'm pretty excited! And I need a distraction because yesterday was a rough one! 

Tammy Jo over at You Wouldn't Call It a Drinking Problem nominated me. She's pretty cool and you should go check her out. 
Okay. Here are the rules. When you get the award, you have to... 
1. Link the person who nominated you.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 10 Liebster questions given by the person who nominated you.
4. Pick 10 bloggers with under 200 followers to be nominated for the award.
* I assume that's under 200 on Bloglovin but I can't be certain. 
5. Come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
6. Notify your nominees by commenting on their blogs. 

Nominees: PLEASE comment on this post with the link to your post.

11 Random Facts: 

1) I run from public praise like it will give me herpes. I hate it. It makes me super awkward and I don't know what to do. This also means I'm a terrible self advocate. But... I want to grow my blog and eventually write a book... How do I make that work? 

2) My dad once tried to teach me to swim by throwing me in the creek. He had to come in and get me out. Turns out I don't respond well to that type of pressure to perform (see above). 

3) While in the Netherlands on a Study Abroad trip, a random man in a grocery store kissed me on the cheek. This was after a random man at an outdoor restaurant decided I was the one he was going to tell about his tale of the "swans" and how they were "infected" but he was "immune" because his dad worked for "NATO." True story. 

4) I am only interested in one piece of jewelry: new pearls. I don't want a bunch of rings; my wedding ring will do. I hate the feelings of bracelets and watches. I've had my ears pierced twice and they grew shut both times and clip-ons hurt too much to bother with. I just want pearls. 

5) The best thing anyone can do for me ever is clean for me or rub my shoulders or feet. Gifts are lost on me most of the time. 

6) Due to my extreme social awkwardness in "networking" situations at conferences, I pride myself in being that girl that just shows up and says funny stuff. My last encounter was with some girls at the coffee/tea bar in the exhibit hall. They were talking about choosing tea because it is better for you... blah blah blah. As I was reaching for the cream for my large, delicious coffee I leaned in a said, "Oh get the coffee. We are student affairs people, we have to have one addiction. Just be glad it isn't cocaine or pain killers." And then I walked off. They were laughing but I was gone before they could question me further :-) 

7) I am an extreme bargain shopper and consider any clothing over $20 as highway robbery. But, I will drop some cash on bras, underwear, and eye shadow. 

8) My go to feel good movies are Benny and Joon, Pitch Perfect, and Meet the Robinsons. 

9) I'm struggling right now with what to pursue next: adoption, doctorate, or a speaking career (on the side). Decisions, decisions. 

10) Mother's Day is my favorite holiday. It is possible that Thanksgiving is my next favorite. I do not enjoy Christmas (too many expectations, politics, stress, and greed), Fat Tuesday (there is something wrong with shoving as much sin into one day so you can be good for 40 days), or Valentine's Day (don't get me started). 

11) Coffee, dark chocolate, and popcorn are the way to my heart. Popcorn was recently added to this list and I can't figure out why I haven't included it before! 

Tammy Jo's Questions: 

1. NFL or NCAA
I don't really follow either but NCAA can suck me in where I couldn't give two shits and bucket full of dirt for the NFL. 

2. Favorite color?
Red, orange, and brown. I can't pick one. 

3. Who inspires you?
I find inspiration in ordinary people doing extraordinary things. I've never been starstruck by celebrities. I've never understood why people will wait in line for hours for another human being to write their name on a piece of paper (aka: autographs). But people who will give everything they have to help another person... that's inspiring to me. 

4. What is one thing you have done that you NEVER thought you could do?
I thought I would lose my mind if I had to have a c-section. That was my worst fear about being pregnant (other than losing the baby or something like that). I wanted to have a normal, completely medicated birth. But when the doctor said it was time to talk about a c-section, I was cool as a cucumber and just went with it. No nerves at all. 

5. Proudest moment?
This makes me laugh but I will never forget hitting a game winning grand slam homerun to win the district softball tournament in my softball playing days. I came up to bat when we were tied, bases were loaded, and we had run out of time in the game. We were the home team and there were two outs. Our team's crowd was chanting, "Peanut! Peanut!" (my nickname back then). I saw that the right fielder was leaving the right field foul line wide open. Apparently, I shit eating grin spread across my face (I was told later by my coach and a few parents) and I stepped up to bat. On the first pitch I hit a hard ball to right field that drew chalk on the foul line and made that right fielder run for her life! It was great! 

6. What does blogging mean to you?
Blogging is such a remarkable outlet for me. I feel peaceful after blogging. 

7. What was the last book you read?
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster. 

8. Favorite song?
Too many to list! Different songs do different things to me. Here are a few to illustrate how random I can be: 

Wanted: Hunter Hayes
Poison: Bel Biv Devoe
That's What Makes You Beautiful: One Direction
Boys Round Here: Blake Shelton
Momma's Broken Heart: Miranda Lambert
The Way You Look Tonight: Anyone who sings it 
Falling Slowly: Kris Allen's version is my favorite but I'll take almost any of them
Perfect: P!NK

See what I mean? I just chose to stop. 

9. If you could be anyone for one day who would it be?
My son! I want to know what that kid is thinking! 

10. One thing on your bucket list?
Be a paid motivational speaker. 

My Questions: 

1) If you could go back and tell your high school self one thing, what would it be? 

2) What is your guilty pleasure? 

3) If you stepped on a garden snake and it said, "Hey! Look out!" What would you do? 

4) What is your favorite charitable cause and why? 

5) What do you order at Starbucks? 

6) What is your biggest pet peeve? 

7) When did you stop believing in Santa Claus and how did you come to that decision? 

8) What comes very easy to you that others struggle with? 

9) What is one stereotype you used to believe but no longer do? 

10) iPhone, Droid, or Zach Morris phone? 

My nominees: 

Jenny at: Jenny B Lesley

Carrie at: The Jernigan Project

Erin at: A Piece of Our World

Tiffany at: Confessions of an ADD Crafter

Lindsay at: The Johnson Family 

Ashley at: What Are My Options?!

Crazy (sorry I don't know your name) at: Crazy Mama Drama

Stephanie at: The Nerdy Organizer

I realize it is only 8 but I had to stretch to get this many! Between blogs that are already nominated and me following a lot of big name bloggers, 8 is all I could get! 







3 comments:

  1. I'm so over Christmas too.

    Right on about the blogging. Best outlet ever.

    I've never understood autographs either. What's the flippin point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay loved reading your answers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing to me that someone with your personality and extreme wit would not appreciate and enjoy attention! You would however, make the perfect sidekick for me ;)

    ReplyDelete