Monday, February 11, 2013

Fat Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, and the dreaded V-Day

Fat Tuesday is tomorrow. You know what that means?!

Nothing to me, actually. Being a glutton for the sake of being a glutton doesn't exactly appeal to me. The idea is to apparently eat and drink all you can handle because the season of Lent is upon us and that shit is forbidden then.

This makes me think of all the people that told me to "sleep as much as you can before the baby arrives." Yeah, because you can store that up.

Forgive my cynical nature with this, but sleeping for a week straight is little consolation for the 4th night up in a row dealing with a crying baby.

Much in the same respect, wallowing in sin just before you purify yourself makes about as much sense to me.

So, I will not be celebrating Fat Tuesday.

I will be using it as reflection for what my behavior change should be for Lent this year. I haven't quite settled on what I want to do this year. I've gone on this rant before about how too many people declare a diet for God because it is Lent. Or people give up something that isn't difficult at all to give up just so they can say they succeeded.

That's not what this is about. This is about self-reflection.

What is keeping you from experiencing God's glory in your life?

What do you know you need to be doing better but you keep ignoring it because it is hard?

You know what it is. You are trying not to admit it but you know what it is.

Do you put sleep above your relationship with God?

Do you put immediate pleasure (food, internet, games, distractions in general) above your relationship with God?

Do you let laziness get in the way of serving others you should be serving?

Do you allow temptation in your life where you know it is hurting it?

What is it for you? That is what you should change for Lent.

Lent is about getting your relationship right with God. What are you not doing that you should be or doing that you shouldn't be? This is the time to change it.

And if those cokes really are an issue with you, fine. Then cut it out. But every time you are tempted to go back, turn to God instead.

That is with anything you intend to change. Change is hard. But the point of the Lenten season is to recognize a barrier to your relationship with God and actively work to remove the barrier.

So when Ash Wednesday rolls around, I will have spent Fat Tuesday planning how to remove my barrier. It will be hard but it will be worth it.

Now, to switch gears, Thursday will roll around and my guess is I will roll my eyes 1592 times. This is why...

Valentine's Day is fine. I don't judge people for celebrating it. It isn't that. I'm not a cranky single person (clearly, I'm happily married).

But I despise how commercialized it is! Ugh. Ew.

I already don't like jewelry much (other than my pearls and wedding ring, I don't need more jewelry). I don't want chocolate. I sure don't want flowers on the day every one else and their mother (literally, their mother gets them too) gets flowers.

You know what I want? To come home to a clean house. I want to be shown how important I am to you. But is this specific to Valentine's Day?

Ummm, no.

It just seems like the day to celebrate your love in expensive and overblown ways (which I'm still against anytime) is your anniversary.

I know I've always been simple and never much been into gifts anyway, but its the commercials luring men to the jewelry store and the complete lack of thought and creativity behind flowers and some over-sized teddy bear with a giant heart on it.... gag. I'll pass.

That being said, yes Justin and I will celebrate. Not on Thursday. Not with gifts. We'll go out and have dinner on some other night and enjoy each other's company. I just don't see the need in ANOTHER holiday that begs for gifts and public shows of affection. That is a strain on our budget and especially if there isn't something one of us wants or needs... that's just buying for the sake of buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment