Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Patience and Kindness Put in Perspective

... love is patient, love is kind.

Is this how you would describe your love for others? Are you patient and kind in how you love others?

Self reflection for me: Not always. I lose my patience with my husband a lot. When I do that, I tend to be unkind. Admittedly, I've gotten a lot better about this, but I'm still not where I want to be.

Play out the scenarios in your head... when you get frustrated with friends, family, co-workers, acquaintances, enemies... as Christians, we are called to love all of them. And part of that love is patience and kindness.

When I start thinking about how hard it is to be both patient and kind in times of stress (especially when people are just grinding on my nerves), sometimes God reminds me of His reaction being tortured and beaten and hung on the cross.

Now think about that. If ever there was a time for Him to be ugly and rude... impatient and unkind... it was then. And what did He say? "Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do."

That is love. That is pure, unadulterated love. And that's what we should strive to be. How petty do our disagreements or annoyances seem when compared to the heartache and suffering that led to the ultimate sacrifice. And yet, He, going through all of that, was still kind and patient.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment