Monday, August 22, 2011

A Closer Look at an "Overused" Verse

Ok guys, let me apologize to those who were anxiously awaiting a "Testimony Tuesday" all summer and never got one. Summer is my busiest time of year and honestly, I didn't have anything on my heart to share. One thing I don't want this to become is a vague post because I feel like a have too. So if I don't feel like I have to, I just don't. More Christians should live like this. There is this "Christian guilt" thing that plagues people for not doing what they feel the world expects them to do. But they are ignoring the near third of the Bible (ok, I could be exaggerating) that tells you not give a flip of what the world thinks and to do what God tells you to do.

I digress...

It has been on my heart to do an in-depth look at 1 Corinthians 13. You know, the one that everyone and the brother used in the wedding ceremony... love is patient, love is kind... blar blar blar.

I have always had a bad attitude about this verse and God is getting onto me for it.

Bad attitude explanation: It is overused. People don't actually use it correctly most of the time. And it has just gotten a bit cliche for me. So much that I refused to let it in my wedding. It makes people feel fluffy with glittery unicorns abounding.

Turns out, that verse is God telling us how to love. And after you break it down, it isn't necessarily how we show love. Almost ever.

So for the next few days... weeks... not really sure, I'll be breaking it down piece by piece. Then to wrap up my many blogs it will take, I'll do one more to bring it all home. Basically... I think this is going to be good for a lot of people. Husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, friends, the broken-hearted, the heart-breakers, the mothers and fathers, the children, and the Christians who just need a reminder of how to love.

So with that... let's start the breakdown!

Take a moment to think what love means to you. Think of what actions show love, what words exemplify love, and what love really means to you.

"If I could speak all the languages of the earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

What is God telling us hear? I'll tell you in my own words...

No one gives a crap how much you know, especially me, unless you love others. No one cares about your many talents (that came from me anyway) unless you love others. And there isn't a selfless act in the world that I care about if it isn't accompanied by loving others.

This is such a strong command! Basically, God is telling you to get over yourself and love people. No matter what you do, no matter what others do to you, no matter your many talents or your wondrous sacrifices... it all means nothing until you love others.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment