Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Testimony Tuesday

I love God's timeliness with messages to me.

First, I would like to confess something to all my lovelies out there on the interwebs.

I do not read my Bible every day. I, in fact, rarely read my Bible.

This is a constant struggle for me for a couple of reasons.

1) Finding time. It is not a struggle for me to find the time to read. While I'm fully awake, I know, rationally, that I could get up 30 minutes early and get my daily word in. And then that time comes. And immediate gratification by staying in the warm bed under the covers just outweighs getting up.

2) Sleepiness. When I wake up, reading is not the first thing I want to do. I'm still sleepy and I struggle to stay concentrated enough to absorb the message. And after I'm done... I want to go back to bed.

3) Comparing myself to others. I am a competitive person by nature which means I can make anything a competition. But competition tends to just be an incessant game of comparing myself to others. And what do I get? I don't measure up to those that are actually reading their Bibles everyday. So I constantly beat myself up over it, tell myself I'll get up in the morning, then I don't and instead stay under the covers, then I feel guilty... you see my process.

And lo and behold! God got on to me for this.

I know. You're shocked.

So for today's lesson in "Rikki get your act together then share it with the world because they too are struggling with it, I just know it":

Galatians 4: 5-6

Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. 6 Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.

I recieved this word through a series of events I won't bore you with now. But, I did have this urge to read the Bible. I mean, I needed it. Almost like you are thirsty for water. (If you've had that feeling too, and wonder why you are weird, it is because God has a message for you. Funny how that works.)

So I open my Bible and decide I need to skim through Galatians. Well Galatians is short but it packs a wallup. Go read it. You'll see.

I ended up reading the entire book. Before you get all impressed, it is 6 chapters long. One chapter of Harry Potter took longer to read.

But when I got to Chapter 6: 4-5, I actually giggled out loud. Justin thought I was crazy.

But how many of you are guilty of it? Constantly comparing yourself to others... and getting one of two results:

1) Not measuring up, effectively stirring the cycle of low self-esteem/failure.

2) Becoming prideful. (Because let's face it, you'd never be like THAT person.)

I know I struck a nerve with that last one. Because you didn't think that was coming.

Both of these ways are sinful. And keep us from the joy of God. And if you know me, you know how awful I am in both of these areas.

But what God shared with me and continues to reveal to me as I meditate on these verses, is that to compare ourselves to others and stack ourselves against them is only telling God that we aren't pleased with His creation. That we don't trust Him that we are beautiful creatures of Christ, just as the other people are.

I'm reminding myself constantly now that God made me who I am for a reason. I may not be a great housekeeper and I may not be a marathon runner and I may be just a bit snarky at times... but dammit... I'm beautiful and I have so many God given talents that my "shortcomings" don't matter. So why continue to let them hold me back?

I'll pursue my relationship with God at my pace and I'll leave it between me and God if it is good enough.

I'll put my confidence in God that my son is developing on time for his life and stop making sure he is still "ahead" in these areas and not "behind" in those.

I'll embrace my strengths at work and use my God given talents to make the differences God gave me the strength to make without bringing myself down with what I don't do well.

I'll love others just as God taught me too and stop pointing out to myself how I'm better at them that this but worse than them in that.

And I'll mess it up. Because I'm human. And I serve a forgiving God that will work with me to get back on track.

Isn't that great? Happy testimony Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment