Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Little Things in Life

I'm feeling rather emotional at the moment. I found out last month that one of my dear friends (Who lives far away and I haven't actually spoken with in months... but one that I will always consider "dear" regardless of life circumstances) has stage 3 brain cancer. She is my age and one of the most beautiful people inside and out that you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.

I've spent the last 45 minutes or so catching up on her blog. She uses her blog as an outlet and a way to manage her perspective. Anyway, just the thought of how real life gets just all of the sudden did a number on my emotions.

I have to say, being a mother in general has done a number on my emotions. There are so many times (and this really could be daily) that I just watch him doing the simplest things and I want to cry. Just because I'm so proud of him being so wonderful. How can one little human be that wonderful?

For instance, this morning, he didn't feel good. It was apparent he wasn't his normal jolly self. He wanted to be held and carried around, but I had to get ready somehow. So I got him a bowl of cheerios and his sippy cup of milk and sat him in the floor. He looked so happy (of course! it was food!) and I thought to myself, "What is ten minutes? I can sit and play for ten minutes..." So I did.

As we were sitting in the floor, he grabbed a handful of cheerios (he doesn't understand one at a time quite yet) and started to shove them all in his mouth. I said, "Sam, can momma have some cheerios?" And he continued shoving them in his mouth. I said, "So momma can't have one?"

This sweet little angel looked at me, spit some cheerios into his hand, and offered them to me.

How sweet is that?! He is a ripe bold 13 months old and wanted to share his cheerios so bad with his momma that he spit them out and offered them. I laughed and laughed. And politely declined.

We spent the rest of the time feeding each other cheerios. He was intent upon feeding them to me so I was equally intent on feeding them to him.

Back to the full circle of things, it breaks my heart to think Danielle may never get to experience moments like this. I feel comfortable typing my true feelings because if you know Danielle, you know she prefers candidness and full disclosure. She is such a strong person, if there is one person to kick this crap in the bunghole it will be her. She'll do it.

But she fully understands her diagnosis and odds. And my heart hurts for her all the way down here in Arkansas. And just reading about her story has put so many things in perspective for me today. I was offered the chance to go feed the homeless tonight with my church. And I'm going to. Me, Justin, and Sam are going to go share a little moment with some amazing people.

If you are a praying person, go ahead and add my sweet friend to your list. I promise she is just as amazing as I have described.

If you aren't a praying person, get on board. You are missing out on something amazing.

1 comment:

  1. praying for your friend. makes you want to sit down and enjoy the little things in life.

    ReplyDelete