Wednesday, June 11, 2014

30 about 30

I turned 30 today! 



And my best friend and her posse of conspirators started me out on the right foot! 


I love birthdays. They are my favorite. Second only to Mother's Day. 

It is just a day filled with joy (or it should be). It is a day of celebration and laughter (again, or it should be). 

I have a fun filled day ahead, but I wanted to share 30 (gasp!) thoughts I have on being 30. 

1) Why is 30 such a big deal to people? This is fun! It is a milestone! 

2) Based off of #1, women who lie about their age make me sad. Be proud you are the age you are! You worked for it! If you are lying about your age, you are kind of setting us back with the whole feminist thing. Rock your age! You don't have to be young to be beautiful. Don't be vain. It is unbecoming. 

3) I have some pretty amazing friends. My best friend, Gena, has really gone above and beyond to make this day special for me. She organized her team to decorate my office for today (which EVERYTHING WAS WRAPPED! Including: computer screen, keyboard, mouse, every knick-knack on my desk, my chair, my markers... you name it), she had a coffee waiting on me this morning, and when she realized my husband was going to be out of town for my 30th, she took over plans for the night to make sure it is special. I super fluffy love her and everyone who made it possible. :-)

Here is me unwrapping my office:  






4) I'M SO GLAD TO FINALLY BE 30! I know that sounds like blasphemy to a lot of people, but being in your 20s and trying to be taken seriously in your career is HARD! The second anyone finds out you are 20-something the conversation changes. It is like you have to be 30 to be respected. I'm so glad I'm here! 

5) Today, when I offered my son a "patty" for breakfast (sausage mcmuffin from mcdonalds), he asked why I was being nice to him. I said, "Because making you happy makes me happy and I should be happy on my birthday." He then said, "Well... I want egg on it then. With salt. And jelly on the sausage." He's an opportunist if I ever saw one.

6) During my 30th year of life, I begin my journey to earn my doctorate. That is pretty rad. 

7) My 30s will be such a fun time to be Sam's mom. He will start kindergarten AND junior high all within these ten years. Holy smokes! 

8) I would really like to make it out of my 30s not being on cholesterol medicine. 

9) Speaking of, I need a work out accountability partner. 

10) If anyone would like to buy or give me a treadmill so I can walk and read for graduate school without falling asleep, I will be forever grateful and it will aid in me accomplishing #8. 

11) At some point in my 30s, I'd like to hire a housekeeper. For reals. 

12) Once I finish my doctorate, I'd like to become a paid speaker. I made it a goal to become one this year by getting at least one paid engagement, and I'm still very much open to that idea, but that side hustle is going to have to be put on hold for a bit. 

13) I would also really like to see my husband get into a job where he is supported and appreciated for his talents and not suppressed and stifled constantly.  #thankyousmalltownpolitics

14) I don't have gray hairs yet. I may never notice if I do because SO MUCH HAIR!!!

15) Do I have to start using wrinkle cream now? That sounds awful. 

16) I'm over halfway done with my 30 things! 

17) Holy crap... I'm halfway to 60 years old!

18) My husband always says that women get droopy as they get older and men get distinguished. That's some shit! 

19) I really hope we are able to adopt within the next ten years. 

20) I'm very lucky to be in a career that I love at an institution that I love working with people that I love. 

Photo: These kids know how to attack an office with wrapping paper and post-its. Watch out, you might be next.

21) I'm going to eat a big ole greasy cheeseburger for lunch on my 30th birthday... no bread, of course! 

22) I'm also going to have something wonderful and some place with "gypsie" in the title tonight! I'm also going to have a drinky or two! 

23) And when I get home, I'm going to drink some more of the delicious Belgian peach beer I found the other day. 

24) I love attention on my birthday (only day out of the year that I can be the center of attention and not get all twitchy and weird) but I DESPISE being sung to. No happy birthday to you for me. None. Stopitdon't. 

25) I may have set a too lofty goal of getting 30 things in. 

26) TWSS

27) I crack myself up. I'm also kind of gross. 

28) During my thirties, I want to travel outside the country again. Justin, an excellent way to do this would be to book a cruise for celebration when I graduate. Mark it down now. 

29) I'm ready to see what Sam "made" for me today at Susan's. He said he was going to have her let him make me something today for my birthday. 

30) IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, YA'LL! Proceed with the DIVA DEMONSTRATION! 









4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 11, 2014

    haha! Those GIFs though! Happy Birthday! My bday is Saturday and I'll be 29.. getting closer! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!! 30th was awesome. And I totally agree that womens that don't talk about their age make me want to punch them in the face. Also? You need to be using anti-wrinkle cream...or something along those lines. Stop 'em before they start! I have been using face cream since I was 20. Can't hurt, right? Finally..I could slap you from not having any gray hair. I think I got my first one at 23. I blame my insane dog since there were no kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!!! Lucky you I've had gray hairs since I was 21!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My baby brother turned 30 on June 11th also!! Hope you had an amazing day!!!

    ReplyDelete