Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Kindergarten Can be Scary for a Budding Fireman

Kindergarten: 

Kindergarten is borderline obsession in my house right now. And has been for six months or so.

I hear, "Momma when can I go to kindergarten?"

And, "How big will I be in kindergarten?"

And, "When I am 5 years old, I get to go to KINDERGARTEN!"

Things didn't get much better when he spent the day with my friend Jenni and her daughter in a 1st grade classroom one day. Lord help me, I have a DORK on my hands!

On the way home today, he says, "Momma, when I am big, and in kindergarten, it will be SCARY!"

I said, "It will? Why?"

Sam: "Because I'll be bigger in the kindergarten."

Me: "Ohhhhhh..."

Sam: "I've been waiting for too long to be in kindergarten! I am waiting and waiting and waiting!"

Me: "You aren't old enough to be in kindergarten yet, honey. You can go when you are five years old." 

Sidebar: This has caused him to not care at all about turning 4, except that means he is one year closer to 5 so he can go to school. Otherwise, four years old is whack.

Sam: 'When I am 5 and I go to kindergarten, I will only be a little scared." 

Me: "But you will love kindergarten. I think you'll be very good at it."

Sam: "Why?"

Me: "Because you are very smart. You think about things and figure them and solve problems and that makes you smart."

Sam: "Yeah, I am smart."

Me: "Yes you are. So will you still be scared in kindergarten?"

Sam: "Yeah, but I sure can figure things out in kindergarten!"

This kid... too much cute...

Fireman Sam

During our bathtime routine, we've developed a little game where Sam puts a bucket on his head, pretends to be a firefighter, and asks me, "What's the problem?"

I then point to an arbitrary place in the shower where he squirts it with water really quickly or dumps water on it really quickly and then asks again, "What's the problem?" (He's a very efficient firefighter.)

Tonight went like this:

Sam: What's the problem?

Me: Oh I'm so glad you are hear! My house is on fire!

Sam: Splash. What's the problem?

Me: My goodness! My  kitchen is on fire now!

Sam: Splash. What's the problem?

Me: My trash is on fire! Help me, please! 

Sam: Splash. What's the problem? 

Me: (growing weary) Someone set my dog on fire! 

Sam: Splash. What's the problem?

Me: (taking a deep breath... working up a way to stump him) Fireman Sam! I'm so happy you are here! A guy came into my house and stole all of my clothes and then sold them on ebay! When he got the money he ran all the way back to the house, put the cash on the front door step, and then set it on fire!"

Sam: (blankly staring at me) (pause) Well, Momma. Then that guy went jail. (points his finger at me)

This kid... I swear...



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment