Thursday, July 11, 2013

Supporting Local Business

Starting about a year or so ago, when we would have departmental potlucks, one of the guys would sometimes bring these "meatrolls" from a restaurant in Benton. And the routine would go something like this... 

Me: These are good. Where'd  you get them? 
Jeff: __________________ in Benton. 
Me: Where's that at? 
Jeff: Do you know where ___________ is off of Military? 
Me: I know where Kroger is on Military. 
Jeff: Past that. It is kind of hole in the wall but its really good. 

So every once in a while when Justin and I were deciding where to eat, I'd say, "We should go to that place with the great meatrolls in Benton."
Justin: Where is that?
Me: I don't know I'll text Jeff.

Text from Jeff: ______________________

I put in all the blanks because no matter how many times I've run through this scenario (at least 4 or 5 now without ever making it), I could never remember the name of the place. 

Two days ago, I finally get it and we head there. We arrived at 7:10 pm. They closed at 7 pm. 

I was so close! 

Yesterday we decided to try again and we made it! 

Guys, I can hardly stand how cute this place is. 

It is literally just an old house. Adorable.

There was room for about 24 people to eat at a time. Literally just 6, 4-top tables. I may be low-balling it a bit, but not my much. Super small. 

There is one menu on each table (sharing is encouraged in this establishment). One counter where to place the order for your table and pay. The man that takes the orders is super friendly and answers questions very thoroughly. 

He told me every menu item that had nuts in it (so I don't send my son in to an Exorcist like state), he told me every item that had milk or butter in it and I learned that their chicken strips are chicken breasts that they bread in the store and fry... no frozen junk here! He had some experience with a grandchild who has major food allergies so we was very attentive giving us advice on what to order. 

Admittedly, there was a bit of a wait time from order to getting the food, but I don't think they were expecting guests to bust in at 6:30 p on a Wednesday night (hello... mid-week church break people!). 

But even if you have to wait on your food for a bit, that's okay if you have kids! They have a play kitchen in the corner with play food and everything. Sam whipped us up some donuts, a hotdog, and on orange he refused to peel. 

The food came and guys... the food was gone before it occurred to me to document it. Justin, Sam and I had the fried rice with meatrolls and we both ate ourselves stupid on that stuff. 

This is some authentic fried rice. Delicious doesn't touch it. Think of the best Americanized fried rice. This is better. Mmmmm nommies. 

Johnny got the catfish and basically licked his plate clean and Pat... well Pat always orders something she won't end up eating at the restaurant (she always eats the fries and/or salad and takes the burger home). What's funny is she tried a bit of fried rice. When Sam didn't finish his, instead of just finishing her fries, she finished his chicken fried rice and a meatroll. Literally the first time in 10 years I've seen her eat anything other than french fries or salad in a restaurant. Well done, Sullivan's. Well done. 

When Sam was almost done with his, the nice lady who cooks everything came out to talk to him and asked if he wanted a bowl of watermelon. 

If you offered Sam a giant lollipop or watermelon, I couldn't be certain which he would pick. 

I finished off that watermelon and asked for more! The man who runs the place (I can only assume Sullivan maybe?) then brought him out two Oreo cookies. Sam thought he was swell... lol. 

Seriously, I plan on becoming a regular at this place. It was so cute and peaceful. Clearly family oriented (very much a family run business, I met the husband and wife and the son that helps with everything). And some very delicious food. I hear I need to try the pad Thai next. 

Join us at Sullivan's in Benton! You won't regret it! 

Aren't we joyful? It is because our bellies are about to be full with chicken fried deliciousness with a side of meat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment