Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Samisms... Oh the Samisms...

I know kids say weird things... especially toddlers. But per capita, mine says more than the average toddler.

I'm going to narrate these happenings the best I know how to. Please remember that I'm going to be piecing this together through a series of texts I've received from Susan and a small bit of conversation on the phone.

More background: As explained on the previous post, I have no social life in August. I have no free time in August. I work, eat, and sleep in August. Not much else happens. I love it and it is amazing but it is EXHAUSTING!

Since Susan is rad and awesome and junk, she helps me A LOT during August. This week is move in week so we are wrapping up training, moving students in, and then entertaining them and getting them ready for college life. This is the crux of "hectic" so he tends to stay a few nights with Susan so I don't have to drop him off at 6 am and pick him up at 8 or 9 pm at night on some nights.

So he is staying the night tonight and he stayed last night. And this is what happened at Susan's...

They were sitting down to dinner and were about to say the prayer.

Susan: Sam do you want to say the prayer tonight?
Sam: I don't know how.
Susan: Sure you do. You say one here everyday at lunch.
Sam: Yeah, but this is dinner and we never say one at my house for dinner so I don't know how. Jonah can do it.

Pause: This little situation does not paint me well, lol. Do we pray at dinner? No, we don't. I love me some Jesus. I'm thankful for the gifts and blessings. But I despise repetition and it is very important to me that prayers are genuine. I'm in a state of prayer for most of the day anyway, but I just don't like the idea of praying the same prayer for every meal. I hate when it turns into that and it inevitably does, so I pray on my own time.

And clearly my son has picked up on it, but hasn't picked up that we are in the Bible belt and people have thoughts on the heathens that don't pray at meal time! Gah!

Unpause

When Jonah was done praying, Sam erupted in laughter. Why? Because Jonah SAID the prayer and didn't SING it.

The prayer they say at lunch?

God our father, God our father
Once again, Once again
We bow our heads and thank you, We bow our heads and thank you
A-men, A-men

Sung. Not said. Shame on you, Jonah.

At dinner time, they also do the "Best and Worst" where you go around the table and say the best and worst part of your day (I'm totally stealing this. I don't know why I never thought of applying this to family dinner time, but I didn't. I use this in class all the time.)

When it was Sam's turn, she was unsure if he would get it. His responses were:

Best: Spending the night for 2 nights at Susan's, playing with his ping pong ball (that he stole from me), eating dessert, cantaloupe, and playing with his friends.

Worst: Going to time out 2 times, having to share his ping pong ball with Little Lilli, not eating dessert, and not drinking orange soda during the day since Susan made him wait until supper.

I'd say he understood the game just fine!

I need to end with a bang so last story of Sam staying the night at Susan's...

Sam needed to go #2 and he is still not coordinated enough to wipe himself. He called for Susan who began the cleaning up process. Then he squealed like a girl and said, "STOP! You're wiggling my giblets!"

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment