Monday, June 3, 2013

Sam is Happy to Help... and a Bit Bitter

If you have followed this blog for any amount of time, you know there isn't much my son does that surprises me anymore.

Until the next day, when he surprises me again.

On Friday, I got a call from a friend about her friends getting to adopt a little boy through DHS. I am a big supporter of adopting through DHS (not to knock other types of adoption, I just have a heart for the kids the government is trying to pay people to take and yet they age out of the system with no one to love them) so I was ecstatic when I found out the little boy was three.

Oh and they had the weekend to prepare to get this 3 year old boy. No biggie.

My 3 year old happens to be very blessed. His clothes don't fit in the drawers, he has shoes in every color of the rainbow, and bins upon bins of toys.

And he is very giving. I have only had to "talk him into" giving his toys to others who need them more than he does one time. Any other time, he is happy to give. And the one time I had to talk him into it, when he realized that other kids didn't have any toys, he cried because that made him sad. Seriously.

So when I told Sam about this little boy who was going to get to have a home with parents who love him but wouldn't have any toys to play with, Sam seemed pretty cool about letting him have some of his toys.

We picked out some books, some cars, and other random toys. We threw in some random things. He had two motorized cars so we gave one of those to him. And we had an extra toddler bed that doesn't get much use and this little boy didn't have a bed. (Two days is very little notice to go out and buy all of this stuff!)

Today, this little boy's daddy (my friend now... we've known each other less than a week but... we are friends... HI MATT!) sent me a picture of his son playing with some of the toys. My heart melted.

Number 1: He is ADORABLE!

Number 2: He looked so happy playing with those toys!

I told Sam about it when I came home and he wanted to see the pictures. We got settled in the chair and looked at the picture. We had also gotten an adorable video of the little boy playing with their dog and Sam watched it over and over and over again.

I said, "Sam, does it make you feel good to know he had some of your toys to play with when he got to his new home?"

Sam said, "Yeah."

We talked about it a little more and Sam seemed very happy to have shared his toys with this other boy. He even said something to that effect a few times.

Justin and I were beaming. Justin even gave him some extra candy for being so nice as to share his toys with someone who needed them more.

Isn't that just a wonderful story?!

Too bad it isn't over.

Because shortly after, Sam wanted to tell me a ghost story. And it went a little something like this...

"Once upon a time there was a ghost. And he flew all around and scared people. He came into the house and broke everything! Then his Momma took all his toys and gave them to someone else and then he was sad.
 The end."


Now I'm no literary scholar, but methinks my son may be harboring a bit of bitterness... no?

P.S. He is just a little shit. I swear he does this to me just to see if I get that he is taking a stab at me. Little. Shit.

P.P.S. My husband just informed me that I had threatened to give all of Sam's toys away earlier in the night because he refused to play with them. There is a chance I am the little shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment