Thursday, June 6, 2013

Swim Lessons Take 1 and 2

Last year we took Sam to swim lessons. He was two and we got started a little late in the summer. Basically he learned how to kick his feet, windmill his arms (not at the same time), and blow bubbles in the water.

This year we wanted to get started early so maybe he'd be able to actually swim by the end. Or at least not freeze when accidentally falling into the water (yeah, that happened).

So Tuesday we took him to his first private swim lesson of the summer. He was so excited! He was going to swim!

He was beaming with excitement when I picked him up.

Then he met Daniel, his swim coach. (Or "Ross" according to Sam. We have no idea where he got that but he is convinced)

Daniel was highly recommended because of how good he is with children. And I have to agree.

I took Sam up the pool where Daniel was already in. I hugged him and told him to have fun. He clung to my neck.

I said, "Sam, he is a lifeguard. Either go to him now or I'm throwing you in. He is trained. He'll get you."

This was just the  motivation he needed (though he was still cautiously apprehensive).

He then clung to Daniel. Which was fine for a little bit while they got used to each other. But it is really hard to learn to swim that way.

So Daniel started encouraging him to hold on to the noodle and not to him.

Sam: NOOOOOOOO!!!! NOO!!!!!!!!! DON'T LET GO OF ME!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Great.

Anyone else picture this?

I'll never let go!

From then on, Sam screamed bloody murder. For the  next 26 minutes or so. 

Daniel was so patient with him though. Smiled the whole time and continued to work with him. 

Did I mention that Sam did everything that was asked of him? He did. Screaming like he was just asked to get in the back of a van. 

Daniel told me when they were done that Sam needs to work on detaching from whoever is in the pool with him. So if we could work on that, he'd learn really fast (as evidenced in his complying with Daniel's wishes whilst screaming). 

Yesterday, Sam and I got into the pool to do just that. 

He is deathly afraid of letting go of the person in the pool. 

Never fear! Tough love Mommy is here! 

I gave him no choice. Grab the noodle or sink. 

He grabbed the noodle. And cried. 

I had my hands on the noodle too but he wanted to hold onto my hands. I let that go for a bit but when he was used to the noodle, I told him I was going to move his hands. 

Which translated to him that I was going to whip him with a car antennae. 

Oh the screaming. 

So I said, "Everytime you grab for my hands, I take a hand off of the noodle completely."

Simple math would equate that he has two chances until I'm not holding on at all. 

He is pert good at math for a 3 year old. He tried once and then flipped out and had a death grip on the noodle.

Success! 

By the end of our pool experience (AKA: Momma laying the smack down) he was not only kicking hard while holding onto the noodle and me not touching him at all, he did it a few times with me not holding at all!

He even smiled and laughed some. 

I know. Shut. Up. 

So we took a celebratory picture. 


We were so proud! He came a long way in just one lesson.

So we decided to celebrate with ice cream (dairy free of course!).




We have our second lesson with Daniel (Ross) today. I'm sure Sam will scream bloody murder and make a liar out of me. That's how we do things round these parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment