Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Remission BAY BAY!

That's right... Mom is in remission! Officially!

I cannot express how thankful and relieved I am at this news. I've cried, I jumped for joy, I've told people who absolutely could not care less about it... and I feel like telling more! Tag you're it!

I got the phone call yesterday that her oncologist called her and told her she was officially in remission. I think she was still in shock. She was expecting the worst (even though he had already seen that no cancer was present in the bone marrow).

Now some of you are thinking, "Rikki, you posted a few weeks back that your mom was cancer free? Why are we so excited about remission?"

For all of those not asking that question... you are done reading now. It only gets confusing from here on out.

Mom's leukemia is caused by two chromosomes switching tails essentially. When they tested her bone marrow and it was "cancer free", it really was, but it didn't tell us if the chromosomes are still out of whack. If they were still out of whack, she wouldn't be cancer free technically because they would still produce the protein (evil little protein) that would still cause the leukemia.

So they ran this really expensive blood test to see if the chromosomes were still there. They were NOT! (Have I mentioned Hallelujah, Praise Jesus, Mighty and Awesome is our God?!)

She still has to take her medicine... but hey, what's a pill everyday right? It is just insurance that she stays in remission.

And... NO MORE BONE MARROW TESTS!

In case you didn't know... that is basically the most painful thing you can experience ever. Childbirth? Nothing compared to this. My mom says that she would have 5 births back to back with no pain killer at all before she'd want to do this again.

The first one she had, they offered her a valium. She declined. One year later, its time to have it done again, and she has several panic attacks and takes 6... SIX valium... and it was still the most painful experience of her life.

So yeah, super excited that I don't have to cuss anymore doctors for hurting my momma.

Flashback to last year at this time...

Mom goes to doctor because she thinks she has pnuemonia. Her blood count comes back suggesting leukemia as well.

Poop.

Is my mom gonna die? How bad is it? Surely its just the pneumonia causing this? Waiting a few weeks feels like eternity.

Hurry the eff up on the tests already.

Phone call: Mom does have leukemia.

I get sick to my stomach and immediately want to cry.

Phone call continued: But its chronic and not acute which means magical pill cures all.

I'm confused... Am I happy or sad mom has cancer?

Phone call continued: It sucks but it sucks way less than it could.

Ok... so I'm happyish that my mom has cancer. This makes me sick to my stomach...


But she doesn't anymore! Prayer works! Believing works! My God heals everything!

1 comment:

  1. What a WONDERFUL thing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!! So happy that she is okay. I remember last year. I cried when I found out, it brought all that your grandpa went through rushing back to me. You have no idea and she does not either how much I miss her and how much she means to me!!!

    ReplyDelete