Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Mom is CANCER FREE!

That's right! Praise Jesus!

I got a text from my mom yesterday that said her bone marrow biopsy came back and no CML cells were present.

As I am the only one in my family that is not in the medical field, I always doubt myself if what I'm reading is what I think I'm reading. So I thought it was good but wanted to make sure that I wasn't jumping to conclusions.

My mom called later that day and asked me if I got the text. I told her yes but admitted that I doubt my medical terminology skills and while I thought CML had to stand for chronic myeloid leukemia, I'd hate to assume and then it means something else that is bad.

Guys, to hear my mom talk the way she was talking was a blessing in itself. She dumbed it down for me and said, "It means there was no cancer in the biopsy." Which is AMAZING!

Then she started telling me how her day went and how when she got the news she started to cry. Her thoughts were that she was diagnosed with this about 20 years before most people are diagnosed and she fought it for a year and SHE WON!

I tear up right now even remembering the conversation. SHE WON! Is the battle over? Nope. She will have to continue taking the medicine probably for the rest of her life (because this is a DNA problem it will likely keep producing the protein that causes all of this mess in the first place). She will have to continue having her bone marrow tested (which SUCKS but is necessary).

But she BEAT it! Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Great news! God is good! And now I need to take a little stab at you by saying, thank you for finding me important enough to tell this to outside of a blog....oh wait. :)
    Anywho--happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have texted you. It was a weird day in my defense. I was all distraught because Sam was having a bad day at daycare and I couldn't decide whether or not to go to the doctor for him then I got the good news phone call... and I was all twitterpated. :-)

    ReplyDelete