Monday, November 29, 2010

Ohhhh with the vomit

Bless Sam's little heart. He had his first Thanksgiving... slept good and crappy that night (just terrible!)... then it all went to pot.

We were on our way home Saturday night and what happens? About 10 minutes away from home he pukes... everywhere.

We thought that was weird but no huge big deal. I spent a lot of time that night cleaning vomit out of every nook and cranny that car seat had... but it seemed like a fluke... so we went on...

Yesterday?

Diarrhea and vomit all. day. long. He kept some things down long enough not to worry... but it was gross. Lots of gross.

Today, I thought we were doing good this morning... then SPLAT!

And SPLAT!

And wait... one more... SPLAT!

All before the ripe bold time of 8 am. So I thought to myself, I could call and make him an appoitment. They open at 8:30 am... OR I could load him up and just be there at 8:30 and demand to see my doctor right away.

So we did option B. And might I say, that's the way to go. If you make an appointment its like... 20 or 30 minutes before they get to you. Show up, look concerned, and don't ask for anything, just tell them what you need. You are seen within 10 minutes. Awesome.

Dr. says to give him 1 tsp of formula or Pedialyte every three minutes (yes 3 whole minutes) for an hour. Then for the next hour give 2 tsp... etc until he is doing really good and can handle a bottle.

This went really well. He was up to 2 oz at a time...at one point he had about 6 oz down him and took a nap. All is gravy.

Then momma got cocky. And gave him bananas.

Ever have a "I can't believe I did that?!" moment? Well it happened to me. See, he had his bananas (and was LOVING it... poor kid was hunGRY) but gave it to him in his bouncer seat (you know exersaucer...)

He blew chunks. Then for the rest of the night wouldn't keep anything down.

Formula? There is a great amount of it on my couch and several rounds of clothes.

Pedialyte? Lots of it on my floor and couch and clothes.

His nose? Probably sore as both of the previous ingredients shot projectively through it several times.

He is such a trooper though. Through this whole thing, he has been happy and playful. Momma? Not so much. Momma has cried several times today. And not just *tear*... I'm talking violent sobs.

He was getting tired tonight and not keeping down anything so I broke down and called the doctor (that's right, my child's doctor gives us his cell phone number. What. Up.)

He put my mind at ease. He said to give him a break for the night and start out slow with liquids in the morning.

So, that's where we are. He's sleeping well now. I'll be on the air mattress right beside him. Humidifier is on. Benadryl in his system. It's go time.

P.S. I can't wait to find out what baby Patillo is. Tomorrow is the big day! Yippee!

1 comment:

  1. :( Poor baby. Poor Momma.
    Hope he gets better soon. Sick babies are sad, and puking is nasty. Hang in there, and maybe rule out bananas for a while?!?!? :)

    ReplyDelete