Wednesday, July 2, 2014

WTF Wednesday: Old Men at McDonalds

Since I'm on vacation this week, I decided to treat Sam to breakfast at McDonald's this morning. He loves getting a "patty" (read: sausage mcmuffin, no cheese) and he really likes eating it inside. 

He picked the table right beside the obligatory table of old white men having their coffee in the morning. 

#ugh

Not that I don't love me some old people, but when you are in a small town in Arkansas, you can just expect that this liberal lady is going to have some major eye roll situations arise. 



Did you know that one of these old men's doctor had the nerve to retire and hand his case over to that little "foreign girl"? 

Did you know that "foreign girls" have no place in medicine? 



Did you know that once you start taking cholesterol medicine, you can never stop? 

Did you know that the Vietnam War is what ruined this country? 



Did you know that since the "colored folks" started getting into politics the world is now coming to an end? 



Do you know what the German word for "bra" is? 

Stopemfromfloppen



(okay that one was kind of funny)

It took everything in me to keep my mouth shut and pretend I wasn't hearing this garbage. 

Don't think racism is alive today? Pick any McDonald's in a small town and just listen to the men. Their theories on the world are enough to make any sane person develop a bit of an eye twitch. 

I realize I'm liberal and I'm disappointed with Hobby Lobby and SCOTUS, and I don't believe in torture, and I live under this far-fetched assumption that smart people get things done no matter what equipment is in their pants or what color the package is... but OH MY PRECIOUS FRIED DONUTS I couldn't get out of there fast enough! Damn me for believing in the womens and the races and thinking we should be good people!

Man, what an ass am I?! 

Peace out. I have to clean my house now... like a good woman. 

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 02, 2014

    I agree! I can't stand some of the things that go on in our society. I experienced a small amount of racism growing up because my mom is Mexican and we are mixed with white. It really is sad that people are so narrow minded. I would have thought your views are the norm, not anything liberal. It is a tough world we live in...Thanks for writing about this. Now I'll go fold the laundry while you clean.. like women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha yes, you go clean your house woman! ;)

    I have to say... I really didn't think racism and bigotry was still alive in this day and age until I started spending a lot of time in the south / bible belt. Man oh man, were my eyes opened to some of the thoughts they still have... and I have a lot of friends in that region too... let's just say our beliefs are VERY different and it really blows my mind sometimes.

    Obviously I'm not saying everyone in that area or anything like that... but I've definitely noticed a difference in the way of thinking!!

    ReplyDelete