Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Before the RAs Arrive...

Hey guys! Thanks to my lovely friend, Brandi, I've been inspired to give a quick update before I begin work.

The RAs arrive Saturday so I'll be working a full 19 days without a day off. That sounds nasty, especially to people who work in factories or jobs they hate, but I doubt I'll notice much. I'll miss my husband. But that's about it. I live for RA training and move-in. How dorky is that?

So, before they get here, I should not be on my blog... lol. This is how much I love you guys. :-)
I need to finish putting together their RA manuals. When I started going through the manual to look for things that needed to be changed, I saw that they had information from 1994 in there. And it seemed like a lot of handouts that were from other schools and it didn't match. It is a lot of great information, but you all know me and how OCD I am, so I'm retyping and citing a lot of stuff to make it look uniform.

I also get to plan training from SCRATCH! How pumped am I?! Very pumped. Very. Here are some things I get to do.

First, I get to introduce a true Behind Closed Doors to the university. In the past, they had acted out some minor scenarios but nothing really critical and they police were not involved. This year, I get to involve the police and build that relationship and I get to introduce them to some major scenarios.

I also get to do StrengthsQuest 2.0 with my staff! After learning about this program at SACSA two years ago, I've been hooked. I was super jealous when some of the GA's last year got to do it during a staff meeting. Then I heard Steven got to do it with his staff at his new school. So, I had to pitch it. I'm so excited about it.

I also have a good budget that is flexible enough to do some really cool stuff. My RAs don't have to worry about wanting to do a really cool bulletin board or cool door tags and not having the money. We can go shopping and get their supplies that they need.

Finally, since I was a wee little tot, I've wanted to do a ropes course. I've done the low ropes course, but when I did that I was under the impression we would get to do the high ropes. Boy was I disappointed. So... I'm taking my RAs on a retreat and we are doing the Ropes course! I could not be more excited about it. I have 10 RA's and only one of them is a returner. So we are going to need some intense teambuilding. I know it is kind of scary being new at a university and having almost a whole staff that is new, but I'm really excited about it. I have so much flexibility with all the newness.

Anyway, this is what's going on now. It may be a bit before I get to update again. I hope to get some pictures of my apartment up soon. That takes initiative on my part and that's not my strong suit when I'm at home.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you! I'm glad you are liking your job and I can't wait to hear more about it.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete