Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ah to dwell in the past...

Hello everyone! The title to this entry is much unlike me, as Adaptability is my highest strength according to StrengthsFinder 2.0. But, last night, I had the wonderful opportunity to go back to Conway and have dinner with the girls from last year's staff of Conway Hall.

Now up until this point, I have to be honest, I hadn't realized how much I missed them. I mean, I knew I missed them, but I think I had so much to do and was so overwhelmed with starting somewhere new, that it just didn't hit me. And better yet, I don't think they realized how much they missed me either. It was just so nice to see everyone. We joked, ate pancakes, and laughed so hard and loud that my face was hurting and every other customer in the place wanted to hurt us.

But we didn't care. When Gena and I left, we were so happy and yet so sad at the same time. And it got me thinking about where I have been and where I am going.

What is funny, is that earlier that day, I had a little bonding moment with my new staff. Some of them were hanging out in my office and we were just joking around, not doing anything in particular. Up until this point yesterday (right before I left to go have the reunion dinner) I hadn't really showed them my smart-ellic/sarcastic side, at least not to its full capacity. Apparently, I unleashed it during this hang out time. It was a lot of fun. We all just kind of relaxed and bonded as fun people instead of being clouded by "our roles". Which, to those who know me well, you know this meant A LOT to me.

So anyway, when Gena and I were leaving the dinner, while I was sad that those wonderful ladies are no longer a part of my staff, and that is terribly sad seeing how close we were, it is exciting to know that I will probably get something similar with this new staff. I remember the beginning stages of the last staff when we hadn't bonded and the breakthrough times we had where we slowly but surely became close friends. So it was a bitter sweet thought process on the way back to Little Rock.

Which brings me to today. I have really been missing members of my cohort lately. More than I anticipated doing actually. I desperately want to have updates from everyone. I'm trying to figure out who will be at the same conferences I will be.

While trying to do a favor for one of my RAs, I stumbled upon the foreign languages website. And the pictures on the front page are....

The square in Belgium and the Eiffel Tower!!!!

Ahhh... Europe. It just brought back so many memories. I'll list a few for those who know what I'm talking about...

The crazy elevator that tried to eat my good friend Brandi.
The first time we saw the toilets in Amsterdam.
The bicycles being meaner than the cars in Amsterdam.
Dr. Ness in the Red Light District.
Titanic in French.
The club in Maastrict (did anyone get that website?)
Michael and the swans that were infected.
Banana pizza.
The first time we saw the Louvre.
The Arc at night.
Our hotel a couple of blocks down from Moulin Rouge.
The pimp bus the brought us there.
Dr. Ness's face when he ate the "butt candy".
Nu'Rodney's elevator music.
Peter.

And so many more. But I'm making myself warmly sad thinking about them. If any of you have anything to add, please do.

Know that if you are reading this, I more than likely miss you a great deal. And would really like to hear how you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment