Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The One About Jesus and Stuff...

So for some reason, Testimony Tuesday didn't really work out yesterday. So, I've decided to go on like nothing ever happened and share what I felt led to this week.

Matthew 13: 3-9
He told many stories int he form of parables, such as this one: "Listen, A farmer went out to plant some seeds. As he scattered them across his field, some seeds fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate them. Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn't have deep roots, they died. Other seeds fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants. Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted! Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.

Matthew 13: 18-23
"Now listen to the explanation of the parable about the farmer planting seeds: The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message about the Kingdom and don't understand it. Then the evil one comes and snatches away the seed that was planted in their hearts. The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. But since they don't have deep roots, they don't last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God's word. The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God's word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced. The seed that fell on good soil represents those who truly hear and understand God's word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty , or even a hundred times as much as had been planted.

Each of us have probably been several of these seeds at one point or another. Personally, the seed I identify with the most is the seed that fell on shallow soil. I can remember countless times that I have received the Word from Jesus either through scripture, preaching, others witnessing too me, or just an intimate moment with God. And I was so filled with joy and a renewed relationship and a new zest for God. And within days, it was all fizzled out and I was back to my same old ways.

I can honestly say, this is how I spent most of my Christian life. Ups and downs... lukewarm at best... not really challenging myself to grow in Christ but still unwilling to deny His presence.

And now, even in just the last year or so, my relationship with God has been deepened and magnified and it is just truly awesome! It is exciting.

Back in the day, it was a CHORE for me to read my Bible. And honestly, I just didn't do it. I didn't want to. I didn't get it. And I didn't care. I could pray and feel good about everything. And even praying wasn't like a conversation. It was every once in a while when I needed something or was having a hard time.

I now LOVE to read my Bible. I get excited about making time for my Bible.

I guess what I am getting at is that there are those reading this who identify with many of the seeds in Jesus's parable... but not the last one. And you want to identify with the last seed. The fertile seed. The seed that multiplies by 100.

It takes discipline. It takes constant prayer and fellowship with Jesus. It takes having faith in JESUS that He will take care of you. It takes blocking out the devil and his doubts and worries and fears and insecurities. And it takes forgiving yourself when you miss the mark.

Because ultimately you are made for God's purpose. And it is a pretty great one. You just have to realize that you are the only one in the way of your relationship with God. What do you need to change in order to experience Him in a deeper way?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rikki, for letting God use you as His tool with this message! You really hit the nail on the head with this one and I am sure I am not the only one. :) May I share this with some people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Ginny! Of course. Thanks for the encouragement. Insecurity gets to the best of us and I do always wonder if anyone is getting anything out of it.

    ReplyDelete