Tuesday, September 28, 2010

UT-Austin: The Latest Victim

*Disclaimer: I'm an emotional student affairs professional as I write this. Take it for what it is worth.

Today, I'm at home sick. I should be resting and recooperating and getting ready to return to work tomorrow. What am I doing instead? Worrying myself sicker about what my friends at UT-Austin are going through.

For those who don't know, read this.

I realize that this is not a catastrophic casualty list and it probably won't stay on the mainstream news for even just a few days, but it is a big deal. It is a big deal because this kind of crap is happening more and more.

Have our responses gotten better since Virginia Tech? Sure. I couldn't be more proud of our university police teams all over the nation for the hard work and gruelingly training  they are going through every day.

But what is the answer?!

I remember exactly how I felt the day I got the call from one of my previous RAs that shots were fired at UCA. My heart left my chest that day and joined all of the young men and women at UCA who were having to deal with it. It happened there. It happened at my... MY college!

You see on the news when it happens. Virginia Tech's logo with the black ribbon around it. Then it was Northern Illinois. Then... MY SCHOOL! The University of Central Arkansas! It was too real.

And now, I have friends that work at UT-Austin. And yeah, no one died but the one sad individual who couldn't just take his own life in the privacy of his own home, but had to scare an entire campus (an entire NATION) who are just trying to better themselves. It takes the selfishness of suicide to the next level.

Why do people spread terror on Earth? Why can't we just leave each other alone?

I obviously know the answer. And I know I have my answer. My answer of peace. Thank heavens I serve a God who takes the responsibility of judgment away from me, who protects, and who gives peace to those who seek it.

My heart is in Texas right now. It's bleeding for those who are having to make sense of this act. It's bleeding for those who have to clean up the mess, for those who have to return to school tomorrow, for those parents who have to continue to allow their children to attend school, and for the parents of that poor individual who took his own life in such a selfish manner. They are at the forefront of my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment