Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Captain Cranky's back... uh oh...

Preface: I do not have diabetes. I'm not at a significant risk for diabetes. I also have remarkable blood pressure. I do not have high blood pressure in the slightest. May God not strike me down for what I'm about to say...

One way to quickly get under my skin and lose all of my sympathy is to go on and on about "woe is me, I have diabetes, there is no cure, its a slow cancer, my blood pressure is out of control, afraid of a stroke..." and then turn around and ask someone for a Honey Bun and salty chips.

Well yes, you would have some trouble with your high blood pressure and diabetes if you are packing away these types of foods!

I see this all the time! And it infuriates me! If you want to eat what you want, then fine, go for it. But do not expect me to feel bad for you. Don't waste my time with a sob-story please!

Justin and I have a family member that has diabetes and she is extremely obese. She doesn't take care of her insulin, she doesn't watch her sugar (other than eat what she wants). She can flat pound down a cheesecake but she will go on and on about how she feels bad... STOP!

It is my same opinion with weight loss. If you think you are fat, fine. Feel fat. But don't tell me about it as you are downing french fries and Dr. Pepper. I'm not saying you don't deserve to have indulgences. I certainly enjoy them. And I am occasionally unhappy with my body. But I will not bore anyone with those feelings unless I am super close to them and they know I'm having a crazy moment.

This is why I married such an amazing man. One thing he is not is a complainer. He doesn't even have high blood pressure. He is "pre-hypertensive." And what does he do immediately? Almost eradicates salt from his diet. And this is a big deal because he'd be giddy like a school girl on test day if I gave him a salt lick for Christmas. The kid loves salt. But his health is more important. So sacrifices have to be made. This is the man I married. I love it.

Captain Cranky out...

No comments:

Post a Comment