Saturday, November 8, 2008

Amethyst Initiative

So, this is probably as random as a post gets, but while at the SWACURH conference in Fayetteville today, I had the option of going to a "Burning Issues" presentation. These presentations were basically topics that get people fired up and arguing.

The Amethyst Initiative was one of those said programs. Except, when looking at the schedule, I didn't know what it was. So, I go into this room blind.

I wasn't the only one. Out of about 40 people in the room, approximately 5 knew what it was. Finally, right before we started, someone asked. And basically, it is a political drive to lower the drinking age. There isn't a specific age necessarily (most advocate 18), but it is basically arguing that the legal age of 21 isn't working and political discussions need to ensue.

Hit up that link. It will take you to the Amethyst Initiative site. It has the overview on the homepage but it also has the actual statement that university presidents and administrators can sign, more in depth information about where it originated, and a list of schools that have already signed.

I wanted to blog about this because I want to know your opinions on the matter. As for myself, I feel like I'm about 85% supportive of the initiative. It goes back to tired old argument of, "If you can vote, smoke, and die for your country, why can't you have a beer too?"

I'm taking the stance of, "If you treat people like adults, they are more apt to act like adults." Currently, when you hit 18, you are technically considered an adult, but its more like a quasi-adult. You aren't the real deal until you are 21. My theory is, if you treat people like they aren't full-fledged adults, then why would they act like they are? Am I saying that people wouldn't act stupid? Of course not. They would. They do now. But I'm advocating an overall culture change. If when you hit 18, you have all of the rights of an adult and are encouraged to start acting that way, I believe that this wouldn't be a huge big issue. But as it is now, they know that just because they are 18, it doesn't necessarily mean they are adults.

So what do you think? Give me your opinions on this.

3 comments:

  1. I'm all for lowering the drinking age. Only immediate concern I have in mind (I'm pretty much responding without reading or considering the arguments of either side) is that I'd like some time between people getting their driving license and drinking. Avoid those "woo-hoo got my license, let's road trip" and "let's go get tanked together" occurring in the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! August Birthstone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. August Birthstone

    ReplyDelete