Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Day I Could Have Been Shot and Lost a Husband

Now that I have your attention ;-)

Seriously, this morning was unexpected, exciting, and no one was hurt and no damage was done... so don't read this looking for that. This is more of a story about what did happen that is crazy and what could have happened that makes me a little nervous but mostly thankful for my Jesus and His protection!

I was in the bathroom around 6 am this morning getting ready when I heard something very loud... sounded like metal crunching/sliding together... snapping... just lots of noise. And I thought... "Geez that's loud! ... I guess the trash came early." Then I thought I'd better go check.

I was almost to the door when something told me not to go see. It was more of a "it was the trash truck, why check?" So I didn't. I finished my morning routine.

I went to take the dog outside and I open to door to ... BLUE LIGHTS! EVERYWHERE!

This is interesting... There are two cop cars, some men around looking a the van in the neighbor's yard.

This van had been driving on our road and missing the curve in the road and ramped into her yard. The only thing stopping this car from being IN MY BEDROOM is the little tree that is now snapped in half. I can see both air bags are deployed and the front end of the car is kind of bent into the tires.

Wow! That was exciting.

I could see that the wrecker was having a hard time determining a way to get the van out so I went over to the officer to offer them our yard if they needed. They said they were afraid of tearing up the yard and they thought they could get it.

I was about to leave and the officer said, "Good job at locking your cars up."

I said, "I'm sorry, what?"

He said, "They were going to steal one of your cars to get away."

I was like... WHOA!

Whoever wrecked the van fled! Came across my yard to check and see if my cars were available. When mine weren't, they continued to run.

So yeah... that was my morning!

Two things I'm super thankful for:

1) That freaking tree. Seriously. I wouldn't have my husband and Sam wouldn't have a daddy had it not been for that tree. The van was all of 5 or 6 feet from our house. It was aimed right at our bedroom. The officer said the van would have been in the house had it not caught the tree first. There were no brake marks. And they were going fast enough to ramp up over the curb and end up that far into her yard. This is the scariest part of this whole deal.

2) That voice in my head that stopped me from going outside. I would have walked out right when they were attempting to steal my car. Since the current theory is that they people were either drunk, illegal, or had warrants or any mixture of the three... there is no telling what would have happened. Especially since we all know that if I would have seen that I would have yelled at them and possibly went after them (on foot for a bit) because I'm that stupid when immediately greeted with a situation like this. They would have had the gun or weapon or whatever already drawn on me before I would have realized to shut my mouth and let them go about their business. Sooo...

Guardian angels are real. I'm so thankful for God's grace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment