Friday, April 9, 2010

Top 10 DOUCHEBAG Things to Say to A Post Partum Woman

Ok...so maybe I don't have a top ten list prepared just yet... but this shall be a vent session on at least one that would make it into the top ten... if you are lucky, by then end I'll rack my brain for the other nine...

I was walking into work today, and a worker who shall remain nameless comes up to me and says, with a smile on his face, "Your belly is finally starting to go down."

...

I'm sorry, WHAT?!

I realize that he thinks he has just given me a compliment. And thankfully, I've grown a lot since high school and was able to realize this, at least momentarily, so I could get behind closed doors to freak out...

But.. I'm sorry.... WHAT?!

Have you not EVER encountered a woman in your entire life?! Would you like to live to see the day when that might happen?! Then don't say crap like that!

Here is a list of ways he could have said the very same thing and not incited a riot inside my brain...

1) You are looking really good.
2) Said nothing at all in place of the moronic statement he did decide to make.
3) Hi Rikki.
4) You look nice today.
5) Wow. You are losing your pregnancy weight fast.

Any of these would have been acceptable. But no... we went with "finally starting to go down."

I love the Good Lord and I do believe everyone has the power to overcome their weaknesses... but good gravy did I ever have a hard time keeping the mean, hateful things I had to say in and not explode. Thank God I have good friends I can vent to.

And before the comments start of "You look so good." and "Don't listen to him." You should know, I feel like I look pretty darned good for having 40 lbs to lose just 3 months ago. I've been very proud of myself. And I only have freaking 9 lbs to go to get to my pre-preggo weight. It's the douche-baggery of a statement that's gotten me so mad.

And congratulations... I will now rack my brain to come up with the other 9 douchebag things to say to a postpartum woman...

1) (Obviously) Your belly is finally starting to go down.
2) Wow... you look like you could use a nap.
3) Did pregnancy make your boobs lopsided? Or were they that way always?
4) What a cute little girl! (To your boy) or What a cute little boy! (To your girl)
5) (While you are in pre-pregnancy clothes) I bet you are ready to get out of those maternity clothes.
6) When are you due?
7) Don't worry... those bags under your eyes will take care of themselves.
8) Your baby is so ugly he's cute.
9) Does it just make you sick to see pictures before got pregnant?
10) You sure were hot before you became a mom.

Most of these were NOT from experience... :-)

3 comments:

  1. People have no sense at all - and it seems to get a million times worse when a woman is pregnant or post partum. (Maybe it's the raging hormons; but we'll blame the idiots. ha)

    When I was pregnant with Abby, I was pretty ginormous. I had several people say, "You MUST be having TWINS!" I finally got tired of it and started responding, "No. I was fat when I got pregnant."

    Shut 'em up real fast. And they'll probably never talk to a pregnant woman ever again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried every way in my power to follow your blog. Where is the effin' follow button?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahahaha---never mind. I's retarded.

    ReplyDelete